The New “Normal” in Infection Control
updated January 15, 2023..
During this COVID-19 pandemic and the spread of variants, we are looking to add extra confidence in the safety and protection of us all. We all benefit from rigorous infection control. The cornerstone in a safe dental practice is the element of trust. You should feel free to discuss this topic with Dr. Janet or Dr. Mike and receive a straightforward answer.
We are here to provide dental care in a safe and comfortable environment as the CDC (Centers of Disease Control), Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Minnesota Board of Dentistry mandate.
From following the traditional “universal precautions”:
- personal protection (safety eye-wear / masks / gloves / fluid resistant wear when appropriate)…
- guidelines to complete sterilization of all instrumentation…infection control protocol in all operatories, laboratory, bathrooms, hallway, front office and waiting area…
- extensive hand-washing protocols for all staff members in place.
- meet the highest standards in training, including weekly sterilization equipment testing and annual training session with our OSHA and infection control compliance.
We continue to use these advancing techniques and equipment added as an additional layer of safety we call our “Aerosol/Droplet Safety Protocol”:
- ADS EOS Extra-oral Dental Suction
We are confident this Extra-Oral Dental Suction System is a great addition to our Aerosol Safety Protocol. This system provides additional high volume removal of droplets and aerosols associated with dental care. With an extensive medical grade filtration system, the viral and germ products will be greatly eliminated.
- Dry Shield All-in-One Isolation System
We are confident the DryShield, all-in-one isolation system is a product in our Aerosol Safety Protocol for over three (3) years.
We have been using DryShield in all our operatory procedures from fillings, crowns, bridges, tooth extractions to other surgeries. Now with the recent health changes in our world demanding aerosol control, we are efficient and skillful in the DryShield usage. It is comfortable and relaxing for you, as the dental patient, to help stabilize your jaw and allowing the evaluation system to reduce most airborne particles, including bacteria, viruses, blood, amalgam, tooth structure in an efficient and safe manner while protecting your cheek and tongue from injury and aspiration or swallowing of material.——————————————————————————————————
Dr. Janet or Dr. Mike will continue to investigate other proven techniques and equipment to further advance our “Aerosol Safety Protocol” and other infection control measures to facilitate the care and protection of both our patients and ourselves.
Information is the best defense against disease. The more we know, the better equipped we are to make wise decisions about rendering dental treatment and the more you know about our daily procedures and policies, the more comfortable you will feel.
For those of you who are interesting in more of the “technology side of the office,” I invite you to continue reading. The American Dental Association, with support from the Minnesota Board of Dentistry, has instituted new Standards of Care in response to COVID-19. These new and existing Standards have been incorporated into our office and are designed to protect the health of patients and dental staff.
3M N95 Mask covered by a level 3 Mask and Face Shield (level 3 mask only… usage of 3M N95 upon request…)
- The WHO and CDC have recommended use of this N95 mask by dental professionals as a precaution for healthcare workers during dental interactions with patients in some circumstances.
Safe-Flo Saliva Ejectors
- These are flexible aspirator tips that have a one-way check valve designed to prevent backflow from the suction line.
- We have been using this device for over a year.
Optim 33 TB
- Surface cleanser and intermediate level disinfectant.
- Safe and effective against mycobacteria, viruses, bacteria, and fungi.
DentalPure from Crosstex
- This is an advanced clinical water treatment technology.
- We have been using this technology for over 3 years.
Solmetex NXT Hg5 Amalgam Separator
- Meets the EPA “Dental Rule” regulation.
- The vacuum lines leading to this Separator are routinely cleansed with a neutral pH and microbial formula solution.
- We have been using this Separator since April 2016.
You can find additional information on the internet regarding these products and equipment.